The Fire Child by S.K. Tremayne
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Date read: December 28 to 30, 2016
Oh my goodness, The Fire Child by S.K. Tremayne was an extremely good psychological thriller that is extremely tense, gripping and a scary read which I thought is definitely worth another 5-star rating from me.
Okay, I am doing things a little different with this review. There are a few things that make a novel really stand out for me and they are:
1. The Cover: The cover usually has to grab my attention in some way as this is normally how a book is chosen to be read by me. / This cover absolutely did that for me; it looks suspenseful and the setting has an eerie feel to it.
2. The Title: Has to be somewhat appealing, anything with the word child in it usually is for me. I get why this title was chosen for this book but cannot actually mention here as it would be a little bit of a spoiler.
3. The Plot: “You will be dead by Christmas.” Absolutely messed with my head! I didn’t know if what was happening was reality or something paranormal. Kept me guessing and on the edge of my seat with the anticipation of not knowing what was the truth or not. It was haunting, clever, suspenseful, shocking, tense and imaginative. I felt so many emotions while reading this one. I was scared, confused, shocked, fearful, mad, sad, and happy. That is good writing to make me feel so many different emotions while reading a book.
4. The Characters: Now I don’t necessarily have to like the characters or have some connection with them to enjoy a book. I feel that everyone has their own opinions or reasons why a character resonates with them or doesn’t. / I found that I mostly enjoyed all the characters and the setting of this book made it that much more spooky for me. Carnhallow even sounds spooky! I found it was easy to follow along with the storyline and all the characters involved. Jamie was my favourite character.
5. The Ending: I am pretty open here in regards to how an author chooses to wrap up their novel. For me as long as the reveal is well executed, exciting, somewhat surprising, has me totally engaged in what I am reading and end up feeling totally satisfied then it will get high praises from me. / This one definitely gets high praises as I didn’t know what was happening and where it was going to end up and it did not disappoint. It was quite surprising, satisfying and very pleasing for a complete reading experience.
To wrap it all up it was an extremely good thriller which was entertaining, enjoyable, scary, quick and easy, fast-paced, and an interesting read with a very satisfying ending. Would recommend!!
Thank you Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read an advance copy of this book.